Monday, September 28, 2009

Veggie

Okay, so I never thought I would do this, but Kathryn and I have decided to go vegetarian for one month. We started today. Kathryn has done this before and she says it is easy but I really love chicken, beef, pork--you name it, I like it!

I can remember a time when I would barrage vegetarians with questions like (in a super attitudey tone, I'm sure) "Why on earth would you not eat meat?". Seriously. I didn't get it. So now I get to respond to people who ask me attitudey questions about my new-found, month-long vegetarianism.

Here it is:

-The meat that is sold in corporate grocery stores is pumped full of hormones. The animals are not treated well and their diets consist primarily of corn. Cows are not supposed to eat corn. Just a heads up. After seeing Food, Inc. I don't think I can ever look at packaged meat the same way again.

-The meat that is served at restaurants is unfortunately treated the same way. So, when you order Filet Mignon (sp?) from that snazzy joint down the street, it's probably still fed corn and hormones and treated poorly. Ask your servers if the meat you are ordering is GRASS FED and ask if they know if they're full of yucky hormones. They have to tell you. And by you asking, you are putting it out there that it's what the people want. And, I'm telling you: local and fresh is ALWAYS much tastier--so it is definitely what you want. [Also: If you love salmon you can ask if it is farm raised. If it is, you don't want it.]

-Kathryn and I want to get out of the habit of eating meat and out of the habit of ordering it for those reasons. Hence, the month-long challenge. By the end of the month we will be well-practiced in NOT ordering unidentified meat--on a whim.

YAY!

Wish us luck. You wanna join us in the challenge? Let us know! Start tomorrow!

Here is the link to FOOD, INC.

SEE IT!

Love yous,

FEN

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your personal challenge. I am shocked and dismayed to learn that the two of you aren't at vegetarians already. I have been one myself for over a decade, and I have zero regrets. A lot of people will try and assault your sensibilities by saying that it is a pretentious self serving thing to do. That is not the case. We are working to change the planet for the better along with the fringe benefits of a much healthier, cruelty free diet! Even just a month is better than none.

    If there is anything I can do to help you two out, don't hesitate to ask. Good luck.

    -Grant

    ReplyDelete